Installing your ScanSnap S1500 scanner on a Microsoft Windows Operating system such as Windows 7, Vista, XP or 2000, is quick and easy, but in case you aren’t clear on how to do it, we pulled together this step-by-step guide to help you through the process.
Hardware Requirements: A PC system that meets the recommended system specifications is required to operate ScanSnap. For recommended PC system specifications please review the Scanner Hardware Reference page. You may also need the Operating System Disk.
OPTION A: Installing the software and driver from the setup DVD‐ROM
STEP 1: Installing the software
Prior to installing the ScanSnap, it is recommended that all other USB scanners, all‐in‐one printers or fax devices are disconnected until after the installation has been completed.
Installing Adobe Acrobat:
1. Insert the Adobe Acrobat Setup DVD‐ROM into the DVD drive.
2. Next click the Install Acrobat button and follow the prompts.
3. Do not reboot at this time!
4. Eject the Acrobat DVD and go to the next step.
Installing ScanSnap Manager, Organizer, CardMinder, and ABBYY FineReader:
1. Insert the ScanSnap Setup DVD‐ROM into your DVD drive.
2. Next click the Install Products button on the Scanner Setup Menu.
3. Review the selected components to be installed. ScanSnap Manager, Organizer, CardMinder, and ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap should be already selected.
Installing Scan to Microsoft SharePoint:
4. To install the Scan to Microsoft SharePoint client select it here now.
5. Click next and follow the prompts as each selected component installs.
Windows Vista\XP\2000 ‐ Once all of the above has been completed, remove the ScanSnap Setup DVD, Reboot your system and then proceed to STEP 2.
Windows 7 ‐ After the ScanSnap Manager and all the software applications have been installed, click here to download and apply both of the Windows 7 updates, proceed to STEP 2.
OPTION B: Installing the drivers from our Web Page
If you no longer have the S1500 setup disk, please go to the ScanSnap CD page to request a replacement.
STEP 2: Connecting the Scanner:
Connect the USB cable to the scanner and the USB port of the PC. Ensure that the cable is securely fastened at both ends. Finally connect the power cord to the scanner and a wall outlet and lift the lid to turn on the scanner. The New Hardware wizard will popup. Select “Search for the driver automatically” and follow the prompts. Since the driver is already installed on the hard drive you do not need to select “Search the Internet.” When completed, you will see the ScanSnap icon in the system tray (lower right of your screen).
STEP 3: Scanning with ScanSnap:
1. Right click on the ScanSnap icon in the system tray, and select Scan Button Settings.
2. After ScanSnap Manger opens, click on the Application tab and select Adobe Acrobat (if installed).
Special note: If the Application tab is grayed out then click on the Use Quick Menu box in the upper left corner to deselect it.
3. Next click on the Save tab and verify that the Image saving folder location is where you want the scanned images to be saved. If not use the Browse button to pick a different location.
4. If you wish to name the files yourself instead of using the auto name function then, click in the white box next to Rename file after scan.
5. Next click on the Scanning tab. This is where to select the resolution, color, and single or double‐sided modes. If you click on the option button you will find more advanced settings like blank page removal, image de‐skew, rotation, and ADF page orientation.
6. Clicking on the File tab allows you to select PDF orJPEG. PDF is the default when Adobe Acrobat is selected.
7. The Paper size tab is where to select Automatic page size detection (the default), predefined page sizes, or custom page sizes (custom button).
8. Lastly, the Compression tab allows for image compression under certain modes.
9. To save your selections click OK or Save Current Settings
10. Place your documents in the ADF and press the Scan button on the scanner. The documents will be fed through the scanner and the Adobe Acrobat application will automatically launch and display the scanned images.
11. If you selected the Rename file after scan then the Save As box will appear, enter a file name and click save. Afterwards click on the Scanned results box when it appears.
12. To test the other scanning applications repeat steps 1 –12, and select the application you wish to use under the Application tab.
Special note: Scanner control is done with the ScanSnap Manager. The scanned image is obtained with the scanning application.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed and tested your scanner installation.
Product Marketing Manager
Fujitsu Computer Products of America